As a busy lifestyle and life outside the home take precedence, many people put off preventive care like regular teeth cleanings. At Point Loma Comprehensive Dental, we understand that good oral hygiene plays a vital part in overall health. We provide a comprehensive patient-centered approach that includes thorough examinations and routine check-ups at our Point Loma dental clinic.
What is preventive care in dentistry?
Preventive care is an approach to dentistry that is proactive instead of reactive. It involves a comprehensive evaluation of your oral health and a plan to keep it healthy. Having regular cleanings and sticking to your preventive care plan helps us catch any problems before they become bigger problems that require extensive treatment, time, and money to get fixed. In addition to helping you get the most out of your dental visits, preventive care also helps you take better care of your teeth.
What steps are taken during preventive care exams?
We take several steps to help prevent dental problems from occurring. Some of the most common preventive care measures include:
- Cleaning and polishing teeth to help remove plaque and tartar, which can lead to tooth decay and gum disease if left untreated.
- Dental x-rays, which are a great diagnostic tool that can help us identify decay or damage that is not visible to the naked eye. Additionally, regular x-rays allow us to monitor and track the long term health of your teeth.
- Applying fluoride, which helps strengthen tooth enamel, make teeth more resistant to decay, and prevent cavities.
- Filling cavities to prevent them from getting worse.
- Applying sealants to the surface of the tooth to help protect against decay. Sealants are often used on the molars and premolars, which are more prone to cavities.
Why is preventive care important?
The benefits of preventive dental care include reducing the risk of gum disease and tooth decay, protecting healthy teeth, and maintaining your overall health. Poor oral health can cause other serious health problems like diabetes and heart disease.
By taking steps to prevent dental problems from occurring, we can help our patients maintain good oral health and avoid the pain, discomfort, and expense of more serious dental problems.
What types of preventive care can I do on my own?
There are many things you can do on a daily basis to help in your preventive care.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. This helps remove plaque and food particles that can cause cavities and gum disease.
- Floss daily or even after each meal to remove plaque and food particles from between your teeth and along the gumline.
- Use mouthwash to kill bacteria and freshen your breath.
- Use a mouthguard when playing sports.
- Go the extra mile in your preventive care by avoiding sugary or acidic foods and tobacco products.
By following these steps and scheduling bi-yearly teeth cleanings and oral health checkups, you can help prevent dental problems and maintain not only good oral health, but good overall health.
The Point Loma Comprehensive Dental Difference
Our focus is on patient care and our goal is to create healthy, beautiful San Diego smiles by providing comprehensive oral health treatment. Visit us in Point Loma, San Diego, and learn how your teeth can last a lifetime. Contact us to schedule an appointment to get started with your custom preventive care plan today.